Weekly column: potassium, its role and DEMETRA's main products made of this element
The last element that represent the group of macro elements, together with nitrogen and phosphorus, is potassium.
Potassium is a vital element for the crops, as it contributes to the formation of their wooden part and increases resistance to adverse conditions (water shortage, cold).
- Regulates the movement of the stomata and so the uptake of external elements;
- Regulates the osmotic capacity, water balance (turgor), transpiration and cells divisions. It does not intervene in organic combinations; it is returned to the soil with plant residues;
- Increases resistance to minimum temperatures (increased saline concentration of the lymph);
- It is responsible for the synthesis, transfer and accumulation of sugars and starch (organoleptic characteristics, flavor, color, consistency: recommended during the last phase of ripening), stimulates photosynthesis;
- Increases lignification process: it moves from the oldest organs to the younger ones, changing the branches from green to wooden;
- Increases resistance to disease and insect attacks.
In soil there are large quantities of potassium as cation (clays) or primary minerals and it is easily absorbed by the crops, which use it to start some fundamental processes in their life cycle.
In case of high availability of potassium, they absorb quantities even much higher than necessary, making it a "luxury good", for example for vegetables. An excess magnesium (due to its strong antagonism with potassium) reduces its absorption. It competes with calcium and acts as a moderator in case of excess nitrogen in the soil. To maintain high production levels, nitrogen and potassium salts should be balanced.
In case of deficiencies of this element, yellowing of the apexes and leaf edges with consequent necrosis occur, moreover the fruits remain smaller and less tasty.
An excess of potassium leads to a deficiency in the plant of the elements competing with it (magnesium and calcium) as it limits their absorption.
Like every week DEMETRA shows you the products made of this element:
LIFE K 300 L, SOLTER 0.0.25 + S42 L, GREEN-LINE 0.0.25 + S42 L: all three of these liquid products contain potassium in the form of thiosulfate (presence of sulfuric anhydride). These products are very interesting, they contain 25% of potassium oxide.
Products with a high potassium content are also present in our NECTARYA (N.P.K.) line such as HYDROSOL 10-6-40, MAGNUS PLANT 8-6-40, MIRAFOIL 7-5-38. Products containing this element are also present in our micostimulants line, especially in SOLTERMAX gamma, such as SOLTERMAX K 10 L containing potassium linked to an organic molecule, its composition is: 3% nitrogen of which 0.8% organic and 10% potassium oxide, a new formulation concept.
A patented formula of potassium is also contained in our products with a specific use (specific for ripening, color) such as SHUTCROP L and RED FULL. It is also contained in MERAVILLE, a product used to cleanse and wash plants.
Potassium is not only a nutritional element, it has different purposes and can be used to formulate various products, as always it is necessary to apply these products with a correct and studied strategy.
DEMETRA’s range is complete for all crops and all phenological stage with products that can be used both in fertigation, in soil or for foliar treatments. To have further and detailed information about our products you can require our catalogue at the following address: email@example.com.
Demetra Italia s.r.l. | firstname.lastname@example.org | tel. +39 0542 670170 | Via San Vitale, 5 - Imola (BO) Italia | Stabilimento: Via delle Arti, 6 -
Castel Guelfo (BO) Italia | P.IVA: IT00596661207